Opinions, costs and our opinion (2022)
Advantages and disadvantages
|American Auto Transport Pros||The disadvantages of American car transport|
|Shipping services for dealers and individuals||Very few customer reviews online|
|Transportation options for alternative vehicles, including ATVs and motorcycles||Difficult to contact|
|No complaints to the Better Business Bureau (BBB) in the past three years||Website lacks details|
Our American. Automatic transport classification
If you are looking to ship a car, you may have come across American Auto Transport in your search. The provider has been around for almost 20 years, but how does it compare to other auto transport companies?
Our review team researched the best car transport companies in the country. In this article, we take an in-depth look at American Auto Transport’s costs, services, reputation, and reviews to help you determine if it’s a good choice to ship your vehicle to.
In this article:
American Auto Transport Overview
Headquarter: Downers Grove, IL
Service area: United States
BBB rating: A+
Located in Downers Grove, Illinois, near Chicago, American Auto Transport Inc. is approaching two decades in the auto transport industry. The company offers a variety of car shipping services for individuals and car dealerships.
How much does US car shipping cost?
Our team contacted American Auto Transport for quotes to ship a 2018 Toyota RAV4 from Los Angeles to Houston using open and closed carrier services. We submitted requests through the site’s quote tool and called the company’s service phone number. In both cases, we did not get a quote or a response.
Although we haven’t received a quote from American Auto Transport, it might be useful to know what other providers charge for car shipping services. The table below shows car shipping quotes we have received for an open container shipment for the same vehicle from Los Angeles to Houston.
Our team conducted a car transport consumer survey of 1,000 people who have shipped cars or purchased car transport services. When asked how much they paid for their vehicle shipments, just over 41% of respondents said they paid between $1,000 and $1,999.
Car shipping quotes can only give a general idea of how much you might pay for vehicle shipping services. This is because many factors go into calculating the cost of shipping your car, including:
- Shipping distance: The vast majority of car shippers charge per kilometer. The rate per kilometer tends to decrease as the distance increases. This means that while cross-country shipping costs more overall, the per-mile rate is lower than short shipping.
- Shipping time: Many autoshippers can expedite your shipment, but this will incur additional charges. Customers who can be flexible and book further in advance usually find better rates.
- Kind of transportation: You can save money by shipping your car via an open carrier, but it puts your car at a higher risk of being damaged. Closed carrier shipping offers better protection for an additional fee.
- Delivery method: Some shippers offer you the possibility to save money by allowing shipment from terminal to terminal, that is, between two points chosen by the company. Door to door shipping is more convenient but usually more expensive.
- Vehicle type: Large vehicles, like trucks and SUVs, cost more to ship than smaller cars, like sedans and coupes.
- Period of the year: Car transport is a seasonal industry. Rates tend to be highest in January and during the summer months.
- Assurance: Many car carriers have their own insurance policies to cover damage in transit. However, you may want to purchase additional coverage for peace of mind.
American Auto Transport Services
The American Auto Transport website does not share many details about the car shipping services offered by the company. However, the company offers at least the following service options:
- Door-to-door transport: American Auto Transport offers door-to-door shipping services, which means you can pick up and deliver your vehicle near the locations of your choice.
- Tracking of all shipments: A full-time transit agent follows each shipment, allowing you to check the status of your car while in transit.
- Automatic auctions: American Auto Transport can help arrange shipment of cars purchased at auction.
- Multi-vehicle expedition: The company offers shipping options for car dealerships and other businesses that need to move entire fleets of vehicles.
- Oversize Shipping: American Auto Transport offers shipping services for oversized loads, which not all suppliers offer.
- Expedited Shipping: The company’s website mentions that the company can ship the vehicles sold at auction in one or two days.
- Alternative Vehicle Shipping: The company allows customers to ship alternative vehicles like 4x4s and motorcycles.
Because we couldn’t reach anyone at American Auto Transport, we couldn’t confirm if the supplier offers other shipping options. If you don’t see a service for your transportation needs listed above, the company may offer it, so it may be worth calling to find out.
American Auto Transport Shipping Process
The American Auto Transport website does not list specific steps for how to ship a car. However, hiring a car transport company to move a car is a relatively straightforward process.
- Get a quote: You can request a free quote from American Auto Transport through its quote tool or by calling the company directly. However, we were unable to obtain a quote using either method.
- Book a shipment: Once you have received a motor transport quote that works for you, you can book your shipment with a representative from your shipping provider. This usually requires a deposit.
- Prepare your vehicle: To prepare your vehicle for shipment, remove all your personal effects. Some shippers allow you to pack personal items in the vehicle as cargo, but may have weight restrictions. Take photos of your vehicle’s exterior for your records in case it is damaged in transit.
- Meet your driver for pickup: On the day of your expedition, you or a representative authorized to sign documents must meet your driver at the time of pick-up. You will both review the details, note any existing damage to your vehicle and sign the bill of lading.
- Meet your driver for delivery: You or a representative will meet the truck driver at the delivery point. Once again, you will inspect your vehicle and note any new damage. You will also need to sign the Bill of Lading upon delivery and pay the rest of your shipping charges. Some movers accept credit cards or online payments like PayPal, but many only accept cash on delivery. Confirm available payment methods before meeting your driver.
American Auto Transport Reviews
American Auto Transport doesn’t have many online reviews. The company has an A+ rating from the BBB but only has two customer reviews on the website. Both of these reviews are negative, giving an average rating of 1.0 out of 5.0 stars. One review mentions that not being able to contact their driver was their main source of frustration. Another cites constant sales calls after submitting their details as the main problem.
It should be noted that American Auto Transport has not filed any complaints with the BBB in the past three years.
Our take on American Auto Transport: 3.2 stars out of 5.0
American Auto Transport is somewhat difficult to pin down as a shipping provider. The company’s website lacks detail, making it difficult to know exactly what it offers. The lack of response from the car transport company when we asked for quotes is also concerning.
We find it hard to recommend American Auto Transport to individuals. However, the company can be a good source of shipping solutions for businesses that manage fleets or large inventory of vehicles.
Other recommendations for transporting cars
Although we don’t give an enthusiastic recommendation for American Auto Transport, there are many great options for auto transport providers. AmeriFreight and Montway Auto Transport are two of the companies that made our list of the best car transport companies in our industry-wide review. We recommend getting car shipping quotes online from suppliers so you can compare and find the best rates.
AmeriFreight is one of the nation’s largest car shipping providers. While the company’s competitive rates, excellent customer service reputation, and wide range of shipping options are selling points, our team loved AmeriFreight’s many discount opportunities. You can find savings opportunities for students, first responders, active duty military, and more.
You can find out more in our AmeriFreight review.
Montway Auto Transport tops our ranking of the best car transport companies, mainly because of its low shipping rates and reputable customer service. Combined with a number of useful shipping options, these factors were enough to earn Montway the title of best overall in our industry-wide review.
Read more about the company in our Montway Auto Transport review.
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our team of experts collects data from dozens of car transport companies to formulate rankings of the best carriers. Suppliers receive a score in each of the following categories, along with an overall weighted score of 5.0 stars.
- Reputation: Senders with a track record of strong business practices and expert approvals receive the highest scores in this category.
- Cost: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of shipping routes, distances and vehicles. Businesses with lower prices and plenty of discount opportunities receive higher scores.
- Services: This rating is based on the types of car transportation services available, insurance coverage, and the ability to guarantee pick-up and drop-off dates.
- Client experience: We look at customer reviews and do our own buyer analysis to get a sense of how responsive and helpful each car carrier is.